Trip Itinerary

  • May 8th ~ Arrive in Nairobi, Kenya (pm)
  • May 9th -> 12th ~ Big "5" Safari, Meru Nat'l Park
  • May 13th -> 17th ~ Gorilla Tracking, Volcanoes Nat'l Park, Rwanda
  • May 18th -> 21st ~ Nairobi (fun in the Capitol with Friends!)
  • May 21st ~ Departure (pm) Nairobi to A-Dam
  • May 22nd ~ Amsterdam for the Day
  • May 22nd ~ Arrive back home (night)
  • May 23rd & 24th ~ Prepare for Re-Entry! :-(

Monday, May 10, 2010

Leopard at Elsa Kopje

What a night. I have never been so intimidated in my entire life. We were told that a Leopard had been around camp and tonight, she was back. It was just 2 hours ago that I was awakened buy the most bone chilling sound I have ever experienced....to describe the sound, it was a continuous rolling huff... Like a 2 cigar hack - imagine this sound as deep as possible....RRRR-HUFF! RRRR-HUFF! .... Now imagine it 20 time in a row in only a matter of what seemed to be 10 seconds... I had the Walkie Talkie in one hand, my knife in the other with a flash light. I waited and waited and waited. The finally one loud HUFF and Jasmina woke up. "WHAT WAS THAT!?!". I stopped her in her tracks with a quick 'shut-up'.... The Leopard was still within range and I radioed for help. 2 rangers were with us in a flash! They checked the parameter and the Leopard had moved on. One ranger told me not to be frightened (ya-right) and that I could just wave around my flashlight in the dark if present and she would leave. He also said he would stick around until morning. The sun is slowly rising and it has been the longest 2 hours of my life. Jasmina is okay, but frazzled as I am/was. Trust me, its not like having a raccoon sniffing around your tent!

We have to respect the fact that we are on her mountain and in her territory...... I do now, believe me.

We have one more night here. Hopefully less interesting :-)

TTYL

2 comments:

  1. Scary stuff, but a neat experience. It sounds like you guys are having a great time, although not getting much rest and relaxation. Keep posting so we can live vicariously through you guys lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds exciting. I would be scared too.

    ReplyDelete